Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Child Labour



Child Labour in a Sweatshop
Children as young as eleven have been employed in the fashion industry. All major companies use child labour as cheap labour, Forever 21, Victoria Secret, Reebok, Nike, Gap and many more. Last year Apple had been found using hundred and six children. According to the UN India is the capitol of child employment. They employ over fifty five million children from age 5 to 14. Children are easy to exploit by paying them low wages and they even force them to work unrealistic shifts, up to 22 hours.

A child from India said. “The men came looking for us in July. They had loudspeakers in the back of a car and told my parents that, if they sent me to work in the city, they won’t have to work in the farms. My father was paid a fee for me and I was brought down with 40 other children. I am working for free. The supervisor has told me because I am learning I don’t get paid. It has been like this for four months.”
No young children should have to work this amount of hours for so long.  There should be stricter laws on children labour but it shouldn’t be abolished completely. It’s better that children are learning a trade rather than on the streets were they are could steal and do worse. In the factory they should put schools on sight so children could learn as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment